The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoAFW) is the apex body for agriculture sector. It supports agricultural research and education, and implements related schemes through the state governments as agriculture is a state subject.
- Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare
- Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying
- Department of Fisheries
- Department of Agricultural Research and Education
The Ministry of Commerce and Industry administers the foreign trade policy and the industrial development policy of the country through its two constituent departments: Department of Commerce, and the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (formerly DIPP).
Department of Commerce
The Department of Commerce implements and monitors the foreign trade policy of India. It is entrusted with responsibilities relating to multilateral and bilateral commercial relations, Special Economic Zones, export promotion and trade facilitation, and development and regulation of certain export oriented industries and commodities.
Ministry of Finance is responsible for matters such as taxation, financial institutions, union budget, etc. It is also the cadre controlling authority of Indian Revenue Service, and Indian Economic Service.
Departments and Associated Organisations
The Ministry of Finance comprises of five departments:
- Department of Economic Affairs (DEA)
- Department of Expenditure
- Department of Revenue
- Department of Disinvestment
- Department of Financial Services (DFS)
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) is the nodal ministry in charge of various aspects of urban development including urban water supply, sanitation, solid waste management, housing and slum development. It is also the apex agency for administration of Real Estate Regulatory Authority Act 2016. The ministry was created in 2017 by merging the erstwhile Ministry of Urban Development and Housing and Ministry of Urban Poverty Alleviation.
Urban development, water supply and sanitation are state subjects. The central government provides guidance, expertise and financial resources to the states for development and implementation of their respective policies on these matters.
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) is responsible for development of human resources. It implements policies for regulation and promotion of quality education in the country.
- Department of School Education and Literacy
- Department of Higher Education
Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) is the highest policy making advisory body with wide representation, to advise the central and state governments in the field of education. It is chaired by the HRD Minister.
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting is responsible for disseminating information about government policies, schemes and programmes through the mediums of mass communication. It oversees the implementation of rules and regulations related to print and digital media, keeping in view the freedom of the press and the right to free speech. The ministry is functionally organised into three wings:
- The Information Wing is in charge of disseminating information about government schemes, publishing government advertisements, overseeing the press sector and the public media units including Press Information Bureau, Registrar of Newspapers for India, etc.
- The Broadcasting Wing administers the Prasar Bharati (Broadcasting Corporation of India) Act 1990, and also undertakes broadcasting infrastructure development works. It also regulates the content of private satellite channels under the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act 1995.
- The Films Wing administers the Cinematograph Act 1952, which regulates the certification and exhibition of films in India. It also promotes good cinema by recognising it with awards, and organises various film festivals.
Ministry of Labour and Employment is responsible to protect and safeguard the interests of workers, and to promote a healthy work environment for higher production and productivity. It implements labour laws along with the state governments as labour is a subject in the concurrent list.
Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) is tasked to assist the Central Board of Trustees, a statutory body, to administer a compulsory Provident Fund Scheme, a Pension Scheme, and an Insurance scheme for the workforce engaged in the organised sector in India.